Yields 3 cups/710 mL
- 6 lb/2.72 kg frozen ajíes Amarillo, thawed
- 3/4 cup/177 mL canola oil
- Thaw the ajíes amarillo in a colander. Split open the ajíes lengthwise and remove the seeds and veins using a spoon. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and blanch the ajíes until yellow foam rises to the top of the water, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain.
- Transfer the ajíes to a blender and purée with the canola oil.
- Pass the ingredients through a fine mesh sieve. Reserve the paste in a sealed container for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
Ajíes amarillos are sold frozen in 1 lb/454 g bags at specialty Latin markets.