Yields 8 portions
- 4 oz/113 g white navy beans
- 2 1/2 quarts/2.4 L water
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 12 oz/340 g tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed, and quartered
- 1 lb/454 g green tomatoes, quartered
- 1 white onion, medium dice
- 6 peeled garlic cloves
- 4 jalapeño chiles, diced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp/45 mL canola oil
- ½ cup/118 mL masa
- 1 ½ cups/355 mL water
- ½ cup/118 flat-leaf parsley, tops only
- ½ cup/118 mL epazote, tops only
- ½ cup/118 mL fresh hoja santa, torn into pieces
- 4 oz/113 g green beans, trimmed and blanched
- 5 oz/142 g chayote, skinned and blanched
- The day before preparing the mole, place the beans in a container large enough for the beans to double in size. Add water to cover the beans. Cover the container and store overnight.
- Drain the beans and add to a medium pot. Add enough water to cover the beans and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the beans, covered, until they are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- In a large rondeau, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add the remaining onion and peeled garlic, and season with salt, to taste. Add the chicken and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside. Reserve 3 1/2 cups/828 g of the broth.
- In a blender, combine the tomatillos, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapeños. Add 1/2 cup/118 mL of reserved broth to form a smooth purée. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or rondeau over medium heat. Lower the heat and fry the vegetable purée until it darkens in color and thickens to a nappé consistency, about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups/473 mL of reserved broth and continue simmering for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the masa with the remaining reserved broth. Purée until smooth. Slowly stream the masa mixture into the pot, whisking constantly until incorporated. Simmer over medium heat until the masa is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.
- Place the parsley and epazote in the blender and add water, as needed, to make a purée. Pass the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and add to the mole.
- Add the cooked chicken, navy beans, green beans, and chayotes to the simmering mole and cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Serve the mole with white rice and warm corn tortillas.
Return to the Mexican recipe page