Yields about 2 ½ qt/2.4 L
- ¼ cup/59 mL canola oil
- 8 oz/227 g carrots, peeled and sliced on the bias, ¼-in/6-mm
- Jalapeño chiles with seeds, sliced into 1/4-in/6-mm strips
- 1 white onion, quartered and sliced
- 30 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 6 whole allspice
- 10 black peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 sprigs marjoram
- 2 cups/473 mL distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup/237 mL water
- 1 tbsp/30 mL Kosher salt
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrots and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the chiles and sauté until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and sauté until they soften, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the garlic, spices, vinegar, water and salt. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool completely. Add the cooled mixture in sterilized glass containers with tight fitting lids.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.