Yields 8 portions
- 1 lb/454 g fresh saltwater fish fillets, bones and skin removed
- 1 cup/237 mL freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup/237 mL tomato juice
- ¼ cup/59 mL olive oil
- 1 tsp/5 mL dried oregano
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 3 oz/85 g small dice white onion
- 2 Roma tomatoes, small dice
- 2 serrano chiles, small dice
- 15 manzanilla olives
- 2 tbsp/30 mL chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp/1.5 mL sugar, plus more as needed (optional, see note)
- 1 avocado, diced
- Totopos or saltine crackers, as needed
- Cut the filets into 3/8-in/10-mm cubes and place in a non-reactive bowl. Add the lime juice and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until the fish is opaque, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato juice, olive oil, and oregano, and season with salt, to taste. Cover and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, drain the fish. Add the onion, tomato, chile, olives, cilantro, and reserved tomato juice mixture. Season with salt, to taste. Add sugar, if using. Toss well to combine, and add the avocado.
- Serve the ceviche very cold with the totopos or saltines.
If the acidity and saltiness in the tomato juice is strong, you may choose to add a pinch of sugar to the ceviche. Taste before adding; you may find you do not need it.